KGB building in Riga
The exhibition at the former headquarters of the KGB in Latvia is open.
Address: Brīvības iela 61, Rīga, Latvia
Open daily: 10.30 - 17.30
English guided tours of the cell block: 11.00, 12:00, 13.00, 15.00 and 16.00
Please come 10 minutes before the start of the tour
Cost of the guided tour:
Adults: 10.00 EUR
Students: 4.00 EUR
The tours take place in historically authentic building. It is not accessible for people with walking disabilities.
Visitors with disability: free admission
Children under 12 years old are not allowed in guided tours
The military forces of the Soviet Union occupied Latvia on 17 June 1940. The building at Brīvības and Stabu became the Latvian headquarters of the KGB. With time, the building gained the nickname “Corner House”. This was the place of interrogation and incarceration of Latvian citizens who the occupying regime considered to be enemies of the state. During Soviet occupation, the KGB initiated 48 000 criminal cases for “anti-Soviet offences”. When Latvia regained its independence, the KGB was declared a criminal organization and abolished in Latvia.